Professional Mentor for K-5 Program w/ Friends of the Children
Friends of the Children – SF Bay Area (Friends-SF) is part of a growing national network of mentoring chapters with a proven long-term track record of helping children break the cycle of generational poverty.
We employ trained, full-time professional mentors – we call them “Friends” – to provide a stable, caring, and sustained relationship in each child’s life. Our program works to empower each child for 12-1/2 years, no matter what!
Each of our Professional Mentors develops intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with eight children utilizing a trauma informed lens in a classroom setting. This means:
· Set positive expectations
· Nurture and promote the child’s individual strengths, talents and abilities
· Help assure physical and emotional well-being
· Teach life and academic skills
· Support youth and their families, and connect them to other services and resources
· Model responsible behavior
· Each Friend will spend approximately four hours per week with each child (in the classroom and in the community) and will report directly to a Program Manager
The ideal candidate will have:
· Minimum of AA degree, BA strongly preferred
· At least 2 years experience working with youth, ideally in a school based setting and providing enrichment services
· Familiarity with the Bayview Hunters Point section of San Francisco or similar communities a plus
· Experience with under resourced communities of color
· Must be comfortable using web based data management tools and online educational tools
· Proficiency with Microsoft 365, Outlook, Teams, Excel, Word & Calendar required
· Must possess a mission-driven growth mindset, and a commitment to life long learning
· Must pass drug screening
· Must have your own vehicle, safe driving record and valid driver's license
· Must pass fingerprint and background checks
· Work hours may vary at times, but are generally 10am-6pm, Tuesday - Saturday. Flexibility and reliability is essential
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
· You’ll start in the early stages of a small growing nonprofit
· You’ll be part of a dynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model
· You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to support you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged
· You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected
· Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping children who face significant obstacles change the trajectories of their lives!
Salary: $48,000 to $52,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
Benefits: Full Medical, dental and vision coverage; 401(k) matching plan, basic life insurance and long term disability insurance; 3 weeks of paid vacation and 2 weeks of paid sick leave per year, generous allowances for mileage, cellphone and other child-related expenses.
To learn more about Friends-SF, please go to: friendssfbayarea.org
Friends of the Children – SF Bay Area is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace. We are fiercely committed to equity and will ensure that every aspect of our mission is executed with full engagement of the communities impacted by our work.
Local (San Francisco Bay Area) candidates only.
Cover letter is required for consideration.
Position funded in part by Black to the Future, a city-supported, community-driven collaborative.